Still Focused On The Quantity? Quality Is Where It’s At.

Numbers, numbers, numbers. Are they your social media goal? Build higher numbers (fans, followers) and hope they equate to higher book sales?

Friendship.

Friendship. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I’m raising my kids by a few beliefs I hold true. One of the biggest: Quality over Quantity. Every time. For my kids I relate it to friendships. A few real friends trump a lot of fake ones.

Social media is no different. It isn’t about the numbers, it’s about the connections. I believe a lot of writers have become too focused on the wrong side of the coin. Stats.

Now I’m not going to sit here and tell anyone that I’m miss social. I’m the opposite of that. So it’s difficult for me to reach out to everyone who friends or follows me. But I always reach back to the ones who speak up and draw me out. And to those people, I am extremely thankful.

And here in lies my point. Connections equal friendships. And friendships reward us as writers and as people.

I make it a point to support the friends I’ve made online. I shout out to them on Twitter, I retweet their tweets,  and support their books. I don’t do it because I feel I have to as part of my daily social media routine. I do it because I want to. And it’s reciprocal. It feeds those quality connections and comes back to me as a reward. It’s karmic.

Engagement is the key to real connections. If you read a blog post that resonates, say something. Like it, comment, tweet it, ping it, whatever, but engage. It matters.

Us writers, we’re a needy breed. We like pats on the back. And we aren’t generally telepathic, so we need to be told we’re saying the right things. It gives a sense of accomplishment and reminds us that we are on the right path.

Communicate. With words. We like that.

Pay it forward. Right?

How about you? What do you need from your writing community to keep you moving forward?

Links you may be interested in:

1. In many ways I’m the same. Twitter is a fantastic amplifier as to how narcissistic many writers are. Where they talk about themselves in the third person, quote themselves and call followers ‘fans’ and calling themselves the best seller, when they have given their work away… urgh.

Twitter, I follow people whom I thing are funny or interesting. I hope whoever follows me does the same. Twitter hasn’t equated much toward sales, but it is a good platform for people gauge what my writing is like.

June 14, 2012 at 1:29 am

2. Marketing yourself is tough. I think we’re all caught somewhere between not saying/doing enough or saying/doing too much. Twitter is a good example of that.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

June 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm

3. J.A. Howell

I definitely am much more quiet than others on social media but I’d like to think anyone that follows me appreciates that I am not constantly screaming about my writing. One of my biggest pet peeves is exactly what Jonny said….calling yourself best seller, constantly spamming with links to buy your book…that stuff is just crap and a quick way to get unfollowed.

June 16, 2012 at 7:10 pm

4. I think the key to social media is being genuine. Be yourself. Hard to do for some. The whole ‘putting yourself out there’ thing makes some people act like something they’re not. Or….it makes people believe they have to SHOUT in order to be heard.
    Thanks for commenting. ;)

June 19, 2012 at 10:42 am

5. Pingback: Want something in your postbox that is not a bill? Join me in a Friendship Challenge! | Dancing for Joy

6. So true! I wish I had more time to connect with people on here but I have so many other things I want to do, I just don’t have the time! Haha

June 24, 2012 at 7:02 am

7. Balance. It’s all about it the balance. And as soon as I figure out HOW to find that balance, I’ll let you know. ;)

June 24, 2012 at 10:20 am

I want to hear from you!

Upcoming Giveaways

Dec 12-15 2014

My Twitter Page

My Pinterest

My Publisher

Join 3,204 other followers

Follow me on Bloglovin’

I Am A Reader, Not A Writer
Itching For Books
Follow Laney McMann on WordPress.com

Past Posts

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,204 other followers