How much is too much?

You’ve established your blog, it’s purpose, your purpose…now what?

We are all in the writing game here. Pouring our hearts, souls and minds into our craft, hoping at some point that we connect with other writers and readers in some way. Some of us are happy telling our stories or poems through our blogs. Some are rants or advice and some are simply day to day rambles. All writers having something to say. All worthy of this craft.

What about those of us who are blogging with the intention of creating a platform as an up and coming author? Those who are trying to create a following. How much should we say to our readers, followers, fans, fellow bloggers/writers, etc…. about our WIP?

We want to create interest right? That’s the aim at a certain point. When the novel is complete, that’s the next step. Create the interest. But how do we do that really without giving everything away? Without allowing our ideas to be taken from us? Until our books are actually produced, (traditionally or self published) how much information can we safely feel comfortable giving?

If I gave ten writers the same idea for a story, what would be produced? Ten completely different stories, with different voices and different angles. The way I write will never be the way you write. And thank god for that or we would all sound the same.

Now I’m not saying I think it’s a good idea to post all your ideas and excerpts on your blog. But I am saying that creating interest about your book, is at least part, if not the main reason we start these blogs. Yes, we want the support of other writers (god knows I do) and yes, we need that occasional kick in the ass to stay on course. But at the end of the day, I think, at least for us novel writers out there, we are also looking for a fan base to jump from. A place where we can connect with other writers as well as readers who know the language we are speaking and hopefully want to take the journey we are telling through our books.

So in that light, we need to give tastes of what we are writing about. I’m not talking plot and the first three chapters. I’m talking basics. Interest builders. Genres, fiction or non fiction. Basics. So when all the moaning and complaining (mine) is over and we are staring at the blood, sweat and tears of our finished book, loving every second of it and being washed over with relief…someone else out there will actually want to read it:)

1. Very true, especially as if you post too much (even one chapter is enough!) some publishers will classify this as published and will either not take on the project or will offer much less to do it. So you have to be very careful with what you post in regards to WIPs.

I feel weary posting my ideas of stories online, in the case that someone else thinks of your idea and you see it in a bookstore one day. That would be a major blow. So how to moderate what you post? Not sure; but I would say, if you share some thoughts on what genres and basic plot outliners, that would be okay?

May 18, 2011 at 3:50 am

• I had a few short overviews on my ‘works in progress’ page a while ago. A few working titles as well. I removed all of it. It’s just too easy to have your ideas taken. And that’s an unfortunate truth because at the end of the day I would like to create interest surrounding my books.

Yes, if I saw my idea released online or traditionally…I would be crushed. I’ve put everything into it for so long, I just can’t imagine.

But it seems at least a happy medium to include your genre (YA Fantasy) and hopefully that’s enough to draw some interest. I don’t know the right answer. It’s a fine line to walk.

May 18, 2011 at 8:05 am

2. Ellie

The only way you can be completely assurred that your idea will not be transformed by another writer, is to not share any of it – and seen as they say there are no original ideas anymore (is it all stories follow one of seven rules) does it really matter?

Sure, for the sake of future publishing dont put anything up. Teasers are great, but the sneaky part of me always thinks that it would be greta to put misleading teasers in just to muddle it all up a bit. (I have never done this but after my ‘query’ after sending my script to the BBC I will always be wary).

May 18, 2011 at 4:55 am

• I think we have a reason to be wary (clearly your ordeal showcases that well) and that’s so unfortunate. It’s pretty difficult to keep everything so tight lipped all the time.

But as I told Leigh above, I removed all my excerpts/overviews a while ago. Now I can’t help but wonder how to generate interest without tidbits.

The few of you who are intetested in reading my stuff (thank you), are basing that off of me as a writer, what you’ve gotten to know of me, and that’s great, but the masses don’t know me enough to care.

This brings me to the ‘following’ question. When editors/agents/publishers want to see these platforms are a success and base some sort of marketability off of them….well, without the overall book sample to go on, they are basing a fan base purely off of an online personality. Thoughts?

May 18, 2011 at 8:16 am

3. Ellie

Your online personality is conveyed through your writing voice (urgh – have I mentioned before I hate that term?). The voice you use within blogging, undoutedly is the voice within your creative writing.

OK there may be differences, but it is about the flow and style of your writing. Agents etc look for the fan base after they have judged whether they feel your book is marketable. The fact that your personality has drawn many readers to your site just reflects their positive opinion of your writing style.

In terms of tidbits I think it is OK to discuss your genre, maybe even discuss struggles perhaps that you are having in conveying a particular part of the story – or just charting your progress.

Authors without blogs can still be successful. I think the key to showing agents your personal success is that you already have many people who enjoy your writing and are aware that a book is about to be published. You as the author have already created a platform where the book can be pushed – the months of hard work in getting to the top of google are complete. Does that all amke sense?

May 18, 2011 at 9:36 am

4. Makes complete sense, yes. Thank you for the insight. This is where my yo-yo thought processes come into play. I need an OFF button:)

May 18, 2011 at 10:19 am

5. Completely agree with Ellie, if you can show your ability to write on your blog and that you have gathered readers just from your personality without sharing your story, then I’m sure that will shout “publish me” to anyone. That’s the philosophy I’m working with anyway! 😉

May 20, 2011 at 6:48 pm

• I hope your philosophy is on the mark. Now if I could just focus long enough to finish.

May 20, 2011 at 10:17 pm