Don’t Go.

The leaves are already beginning to rain down. Only August, and I can feel Fall in the air. It approaches so quickly this time of year. One minute summer vacation is in full steam and the next, football season is starting and school clothes are being bought. Another year gone by. They move so fast.

My writing progress this summer has been slacking. It happens. I’m learning, or trying to learn, to be ok with that. To put less pressure on myself to ‘keep up’ with it all. It’s not been easy. I have a pile of work in front of me, work I’ve let overwhelm me, work I’m now viewing in a different light-from a different angle. I simply can’t do it all. Nor do I think I, or anyone, should be expected to.

When we sit back and look at everything we as writers are expected to do, especially with social media, it can be incredibly overwhelming.

A few of my friends are having a difficult time with their own writing journey’s right now. It breaks my heart, because I know that feeling. Really well. I’ve been in that place. Wondering why I was wasting time, wondering what I was doing. Who am I to be doing all of this, writing all the time? What if it goes nowhere? I think most of us hit that wall now and then, it’s normal. Some of us push-off the wall, others stay glued to it.

We become so focused, so embedded in our thoughts–our own heads, when we write. It’s easy to understand why throwing in the towel is an appealing option. Who needs all those headaches?

I guess that depends on who’s asking–and who’s answering.

I think a lot of very talented writers simply become overwhelmed. This industry can be too much. It can be easier to just stop. Put the laptop down, close up the notes and walk away from the desk. Close off the writing thoughts until they stop creeping in anymore. A chapter closed.

Thing is, these writers–these people, they touch other writers.

I have come to depend on certain fellow blogger/writer friends I’ve made over the course of my journey and selfishly, I want them to hang around. I want us all to see this thing through together, even if our goals and aspirations are completely different. I want to know we all did our best and tried.

So this post is to two friends in particular who are having doubts and questioning what they are doing right now and why. Two friends who have simply run out of something to say.

You know who you are. And I want you to know, that YOU inspire me. You inspire a lot of writers. So don’t go.

Sometimes, all we need is a little inspiration.

1. There is nothing greater than friends. Thank you for taking the time to write this post. Regardless of the timing, all writers need a pick me up, a reminder that we all have struggles at times, that each one can be learnt from, and most importantly overcome.

August 15, 2011 at 8:18 am

• You’re very welcome Ellie. It’s no easy task, trying to do what we do, hanging in there is half the battle. Leaning on fellow writers certainly helps the path to become a bit clearer. I’m always here for leaning on.

August 15, 2011 at 9:38 am

2. Well said, Laney.

Very often, a few simple words heard at the right time from the right person can make a huge difference. Methinks you are the right person saying the right words to the right people.

There is an old saying that it is the journey and not the destination that is important. Sometimes we step in a few mud puddles along the way. But isn’t that what makes us treasure a sunny day and a dry road?

Well done, Laney.

August 15, 2011 at 6:04 pm

• Thank you for such kind words. I can only hope I’m the right person saying the right words to the right people. I certainly have a few saying them to me.

And yes, it is about the journey, I agree. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. Here’s to sunny days and dry roads–with a few puddles;)

August 15, 2011 at 8:39 pm

3. The desire is itching, but yes, being glued to that wall…it’s difficult to pull myself away. Time is a factor, but it’s just an excuse; I can always make time. It’s just scary!

September 22, 2011 at 10:16 pm

4. I hate that damn wall. I hit it all the time like everyone else. But unlike everyone I suppose, i continually kick off of it. It may take me more time, but I’ll get where I am trying to go.

Time is an ugly word I think. How many incredibly gifted writers do we both know of who took foreverrrr to complete books? TONS. Time can be an asset–it hones your craft.

And for the record, I’m scared too. We all are. That’s what shuts down so many blogs, so many novels–so much talent. I’m counting on you to hang in;) (And Ellie too!!)

Thanks for your words Leigh, always appreciated;)

September 23, 2011 at 8:46 am

5. Wow! Leigh I think me and you are in the same spot at the moment, I feel i just need to shake off the moss that has grown around me and I will be free to start again.

Laney thank you for still thinking of me as a ‘writer’. I know not that much time has passed but it has been long enough for me to feel that it has been too long. Maybe it is the three (yes, three) projects I am involved with that are related to the industry but not actually me putting the pen to paper that has created such a void for me, but i will be back. I have to, I can’t let you down now lol!

September 23, 2011 at 5:42 pm

• Oh Ellie, you ARE a writer. Don’t need me to tell you;) Sorry for all the pressure but I need you guys!! ;))))

September 24, 2011 at 8:07 am