The music in me

(Via Wikipedia)

At the age of four, I was belting out The Beatles while sitting in the bath tub. With A Little Help From My Friends, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, She’s Leaving Home & A Day In The Life (Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band) were a few of my favorites. At that age I knew and loved almost every Beatles song. I have too many favorites to name them all.

It wasn’t until much later that I realized none of these songs were from my generation. It was then that I wondered how in the world I knew them all.

Recently on vacation, my mom cranked up her ipod, her self-made compilation blaring, and as I unthinkingly sang along like I always do, Golden Slumbers (Abbey Road) by The Beatles rang out. My mom grinned and told me that it was one of my lullaby’s.

And then it hit me. My parents had played all these incredible albums to help me fall asleep as a baby and a young child. I never knew.

What greater gift could I have been given?

I own every single Beatles album now. It’s the music in me.

1. Music gets the day moving doesn’t it? 🙂 i wish i had that chance as a kid, wish my kid would appreciate 80’s music lol

August 23, 2011 at 9:05 pm

• Yes it does. I’m an 80’s fan too. Well…mostly early 80’s. Thanks for stopping by;)

August 23, 2011 at 9:22 pm

2. At last! someone who appreciates good music like me! and you’re most welcome 🙂 looking forward to reading more posts 🙂

August 23, 2011 at 9:26 pm

• Ha! I am an obsessive music fan actually. Thanks for the interest and subscribing;) Hope I don’t bore you with all my novel writing complaints!

August 24, 2011 at 8:47 am

3. Radio gold has me singing along…I don’t know who the bands are, if they had other singles or indeed albums, but I welcome each song like a long lost friend!

August 24, 2011 at 4:21 am

• 😉 Good to hear from you Ellie. I agree, so many of my favorites transport me back in time–love that.

August 24, 2011 at 8:50 am

4. Like you I started with The Beatles by parental indoctrination fairly early in life (8). I loved it, but I didn’t understand a word they sang; I only spoke Dutch. And still, I can listen to The Beatles as if they were an instrumental only outfit (which is a pity, as many of their lyrics are great)

Laugh, laugh me du 🙂

August 31, 2011 at 1:42 pm

5. The lyrics are amazing, I agree. But it’s also a huge testament to their musical talent that you loved it without understanding;) Thanks for stopping in!

August 31, 2011 at 3:36 pm

6. Pingback: Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band PMC 7026

7. music nut….insert me here. My library of 28,400 songs (and growing) always has hidden gems. Not sure I can use it as inspiration to write (unless it’s lyrics/poetry). Perhaps I could use it to set the mood to allow my mind to think in a certain way.

September 22, 2011 at 10:24 pm

8. Have to admit…you’ve got me on the number. Granted, I had to upgrade my iphone bc my library was too large for the old one to hold. Can’t have that!
    Without music it can be hard for me to write. A lot of people think that’s nuts but to me it’s natural. The whole transportation thing is key.

September 23, 2011 at 7:20 am

9. LOVE the Beatles. Who could not?

October 6, 2011 at 8:59 am

10. Agreed! They were so far beyond the times and still reign supreme after all these years. Amazing talent.

October 6, 2011 at 9:14 am