So…You’re a Writer??

Writer Wordart

Writer Wordart (Photo credit: secretagent007)

“So, you’re a writer?” An old friend of mine asked me this question recently. My immediate and unthinking response was, “Unpublished.” I said it like it was some sort of apology. To whom I was apologizing, I will never know. Maybe myself.

What on earth possess’ writers to say that?

Scrutiny.

There is no need to justify the reason we write. Yet, somehow we feel compelled to do so.

So we explain, or try to explain, what we are writing, what our plans are. Or we simply don’t discuss it all. We keep it to ourselves, hidden from our family and our peers. It’s much easier that way–if we fail, no one will ever know.

I’ve seen the sideways glance, the cinched eyebrows, looks of confusion, the blank stare. Get enough of those looks and it will either drive you to push harder, and PROVE THEM WRONG–or it will drive you to shut your mouth.

First, don’t push harder to prove someone wrong. If people aren’t supportive, it’s their issue, not yours. Push harder because YOU are working toward your goals. Second, writers don’t shut their mouths. The inner workings of our minds are constantly talking, constantly creating, and constantly thinking. Don’t hide what makes you different–bask in it.

If we don’t see ourselves as writers–no one will. We have to take ourselves seriously if we expect anyone else to. And part of that is working on our craft. Everyday. The other part– acknowledging not only to yourself, but to everyone else, that yes, you are a writer.

You chose this path. It’s time to walk it.

1. I understand…I recently declared I was a writer. I am 30 something, and most of my friends and family have said…since when? I explain to them that I have always had a facination with various types of writing, and now…I’m doing my own. The universal response is…why? And I say, because I like it…:)

I look forward to reading your posts!

N.

January 20, 2011 at 12:35 am

2. Exactly. People who don’t know me so well wonder how they never knew this about me…. like it was some secret I was keeping. Not everyone needs to understand it, as long as us writers do. Good luck in your writing endeavors and thank you for commenting!:)

January 20, 2011 at 7:29 am

3. When I say this to people, I usually receive a warm response. A sensation of awe, intrigue and mystery. People don’t see me as a writer, which strikes me as odd, as my conversations and written work (mostly in the form of reports) use different words and are structured well. People have difficulty separating me from the professional world and placing me in a creative environment. Engineers are supposed to use cold, clinical and scientific terms…right? Not all the time, that would be boring.

Submeg

March 12, 2011 at 7:27 pm

4. I get the sideways glance and then “really?” Recently I got, “You must be thinking a lot!” Ummm…yeah. Didn’t know how to respond to that comment. Thanks for reading all these posts!

March 13, 2011 at 11:04 am

5. “You must be thinking a lot” – Really? Obviously, they aren’t! Yikes! The light is on and no one is home!

March 15, 2011 at 6:51 am

• Yeah, That was my thought too. I have to remind myself that a lot of people and I mean A LOT of people, don’t read. Sad but true. Hard to fathom writing a book if you’ve never even read one.

March 15, 2011 at 7:53 am