Road Trip Wednesday — Love is in the air

Jumping on the YA Highway’s Blog Carnival this week in honor of Valentine’s Day tomorrow.

This week’s topic: What do you love most about writing (and/or reading)?

I’m going to pick reading because I will forever be a reader before a writer. Why do I love it so? For me, reading fantasy and paranormal, which are my all time favorites, is like walking into another world–into someone else’s shoes–and living there for a while.

It’s the ability to transport somewhere else–somewhere you never even dreamed of. It’s magic.

How about you? Why do you love reading and/or writing so much?

1. Anonymous

Reading and writing are almost indistinguishable to me except for one way: reading is living a dream directed by someone else, and writing is living a dream from within.

Gives new meaning to ‘Row, row, row your boat, life is but a dream…’

February 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm

• Loving that analogy. So very true.

February 13, 2013 at 12:28 pm

• Anonymous

‘merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream…’

February 13, 2013 at 12:45 pm

2. Colin

It was while reading non-fiction one day that it occurred to me: this is like sitting down with an expert and having him talk to me. It’s as if the fact he and I are miles apart, and he may indeed be long dead, doesn’t matter. We can still sit here and converse through the written page. How powerful! That same idea transfers to fiction, where the author is putting images and ideas into your head, opening up a world you might never have dreamed for yourself. Again, that’s powerful. What’s not to love about reading and writing? 🙂

February 13, 2013 at 1:24 pm

• It’s as if time stands still. You’re right–we can learn from people from the past, while dreaming impossible ideas for the future. It really is an incredible gift. 😉

February 13, 2013 at 3:04 pm

3. Erin Funk

Your answer was similar to mine. Nothing beats the escapism of reading and writing.

February 13, 2013 at 5:59 pm