Road Trip Wednesday — Best Books of March

YA Highway RTW

March, for me, has been an awesome reading month. I’m crazy late, but I finally started The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. And when I say started, I really mean finished– the whole series. Except of course The City of Heavenly Fire — not due out until March ‘014 ;(

This is one of the best series of books I’ve read in a really, really long time, and I can’t believe I’m just now getting around to it. So — here are some covers of the series to drool over, and if you’re a YA fan who hasn’t read these books — do yourself a favor. Jace might be one of the best male characters I’ve ever read. Ever. Yeah, that good.

(couldn’t get a good pic of City of Lost Souls but that cover is a beauty too.)

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

City of Ashes

City of Ashes (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

City of Glass (Mortal Instruments)

City of Glass (Mortal Instruments) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

City of Fallen Angels

City of Fallen Angels (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

1. Sorry, but I didn’t get past book one. Not for me. Cassandra’s world is clearly deep, and I can see how someone can get sucked into it. But I didn’t like her style, and the dialog didn’t always work for me. I’m glad you like it. She obviously put a lot of time and effort into this series, so I’m happy there are those that love it. I’m just not in that camp.

March 27, 2013 at 11:36 am

• Don’t be sorry. To each his own. 😉 I’m generally not a third person fan of YA, but I thought the depth of these books needed that element. I loved them.

March 27, 2013 at 2:03 pm

2. Anonymous

I’ve been putting off reading them – for no reason really – but now I’ll have to read them. Also interested to see how the third person POV works for the characters. Thanks for the review!

March 27, 2013 at 3:27 pm

• I put them off too, and like you, I’m not sure why, really. I think they’re fantastic. The first book, City of Bones, started a little slow and to be honest, I was probably 3/4 in before it took hold. After that, the rest of the series flew like a rocket. There’s a lot of sarcasm throughout, so I related to the dialogue. Give them a shot. 😉

March 27, 2013 at 5:36 pm

3. I have the first book packed up somewhere with a whole bunch of other books I’ve bought but haven’t read…I should figure out where it is so I can finally get around to reading it.

March 28, 2013 at 1:27 pm

• I recommend them. But you know we all have our loved books and our so-so ones. Hopefully you’ll like them. 😉

March 28, 2013 at 1:45 pm